The church is named after the Queen Christina who made donations for the building. When the town of Gothenburg was founded, the increasing number of German and Dutch people needed a place for their religious practise.
First, a small chapel was used, but the building of a large church begun in 1634. The church was damaged by two fires, but was reconstructed in both cases. The latter reconstruction was completed in 1783. The 42 bells in the bell tower were introduced in 1961.
The grave chapel of the Ascheberg family was built in 1682 and it is located in the eastern extension of the church.